A Travellerspoint blog

Still in Vancouver

Partial report - more to follow

overcast 15 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

Day 17 - Saturday 2 October - Vancouver
Temperature 17 °C & Partly Cloudy

Unpacked our gear and sorted out the facilities, read the emails and caught up with some news from Oz. Wandered around the local streets – lots of small eateries and bars, drug stores and even a Safeway Supermarket within a block or two of the hotel. Bought some stamps (CAN$ 1.76 each pack of 6 only), cookies, apples, bananas and Coke. Joined the Safeway Club at the check-out, funniest guy, had a great laugh when we put our Australian address on the form.

Found a small diner and had an excellent meal there for just over CAN$ 20. Back to the hotel and checked out the laundry facility and learned a new term when asking for change at the front desk, the $1 coin is called a “Loonie” because it has the image of a common loon (looks like a duck to me) on the reverse.

Day 18 - Sunday 3 October - Vancouver
Temperature 16 °C & Partly Cloudy possible showers

First order of business is to do the laundry then back to the little diner for breakfast, eggs, bacon and toast and a cup of coffee all up CAN$ 15 for the two of us. Bit more crowded than it was yesterday evening. Jenny's high point was when a black squirrel ran past on the outside window sill.

Up the street to the Drug Store and consultation with the pharmacist to get something for runny nose and dry cough, very helpful and professional. Light drizzle falling so back to the hotel and do some serious spine-bashing. Played with the TV and snoozed through the afternoon, Jen still insists in keeping me hydrated. There are 50 something channels available but we've no idea what's showing where and when.

Dinner at the diner again, generous pasta dishes for $8 each, we are the only ones eating there at 6 pm, guess it might get busy later. The place is small and cosy and just a very short walk from the hotel, it will do us just fine.

Day 19 - Monday 4 October - Vancouver
Temperature 15 °C & Partly Cloudy possible showers

An early start to test what's open for breakfast around 7 am. We have booked a tour to Whistler on Thursday and it picks us up at 8 am so we'd like to have breakfast early. The Red Umbrella was open about 7 as were McDonald's and Tim Horton. We may try McDonald's as they have the best range of options and they're open 24/7.

Joined the Big Bus Hop On Hop Off Tour (HOHO) at the English Beach stop. Bus was quite late, dark and cramped – it was certainly beyond its Use Before Date. The commentary was a combination of pre-recorded snippets and the driver's personal observations. Left us a bit confused rather than informed. Got off at Granville Island Markets, quite interesting but not set up for wet weather and a bit disjointed. The food markets displayed a wide range of fresh food, baked items and take-away meals. Seating was at a premium but Jenny managed to snag a table and we enjoyed a hot lunch – Jenny Chinese, me Indian.

Back on the HOHO and headed home where we're sorting out some of the problems associated with mailing a parcel home. First, find a place that will sell you a cardboard box then find a Post Office that can process parcels. Most of the Post Offices listed are sub-agencies in convenience stores and I'm not convinced they are up to dealing with the challenges of Overseas Parcel Post.
Will post more from Vancouver later

Posted by greynomadm 16:53 Archived in Canada Comments (1)

Cruise to Alaska

14 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

Saturday 25 September - Join the Cruise
Temperature 25 °C & Partly Cloudy

After another excellent breakfast we sadly say farewell to the Homewood Suites, our 10 am shuttle arrived early and we were ready so we left at 9:45. Lloyd followed us out to the Lincoln Town-car to bid us goodbye, it has been a truly pleasant experience in Seattle.

The cruise terminal was total chaos with inbound passengers, stacks of luggage and cars, vans and buses picking up the inbound and dropping off the outbound. We dropped off out check through cases and waited at Security. The scan and check was less arduous than the airport check but required the unpacking of the computer and emptying of the pockets, at least we didn't have to take our shoes off.

The check-in was largely painless but there was some delay whilst the clerk took our passports to be checked. No idea what the issue was. Check-in done we sat and waited for boarding to commence, there was a fair crowd of us early birds and a staff member commented that it would be a “mad-house” later in the afternoon. The Norwegian Star is a BIG ship !! Displacement 91,740 tons, Length 965 feet, Width 105 feet, Guests 2,240 and Crew 1063.

We were ushered to deck 12 for Lunch at the Market Cafe which was all but deserted when we arrived but soon became well patronised and quite crowded. It would have been more crowded if the many who were wandering around had been able to find their way there. The afternoon was interrupted by the mandatory Emergency Drill and we pushed off precisely at 4 pm. Seattle was bathed in brilliant sunshine and even Mt Rainier put in an eerie appearance.

We checked with the Cruise Consultant regarding our Mediterranean cruise documentation which had not been available when we left Australia. She assured us that they'd be printed and delivered to our suite before we reached Vancouver.

Decided to dine in the Versailles Main Restaurant, a very elegant room with prompt and efficient service. The menu choices were quite comprehensive and the food quality was great. After dinner we engaged in some retail therapy, as this was the last of her Alaska cruises for the season, all Alaska themed items were marked down by 50%.

Sunday 26 September – Cruise Day 1
Temperature 12 °C & Cloudy with Showers

Sailing along what could almost be a wide river, land on both sides with an occasional bay or lake. At times visibility is almost zero and at other times we can see where we are. A pod of dolphins joined us briefly while we were having breakfast. Yes I had a camera with me and NO!! I didn't get a photo. The camera continually focused on the rain drops on the window. At noon we were about half way to Ketchikan where we are due at 7 am tomorrow. The documents for our Mediterranean cruises were delivered to our suite this morning along with membership pins for the loyalty program called “Latitudes”.

After an early lunch we joined many of the 600 Latitudes passengers for a drink and a canape in the Spinnaker Lounge. We were introduced to the Captain and the heads of departments and told how important the repeat customers were to the industry generally and the Line in particular. It is claimed there are over 8 million Latitudes members world wide. The sea is a little rougher and the weather continues to be overcast and therefore limiting any photographic opportunities.

Dined in the Aqua Restaurant, very quiet and not as elegant as the Versailles but the menu is the same and there are no queues to get a table. T 7:30 we joined hundreds of others in the Stardust Theatre for the “Oh What A Night Tribute to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons”. Four young men with great voices presented a most professional show. Even I remember many of the songs. Clocks back one hour and off to bed.

Monday 27 September – Cruise Day 2
Temperature 12 °C & Cloudy with Showers

The overnight run was so quiet and smooth I had to look out the window to be sure we were moving. Arrived in Ketchikan at about 7 am, it is raining !! Walked through some of the many retail outlets and bought some of their fantastic bargains which we decided to send home as parcel post. First we had to buy a box, tape and marker pen as the Post Office didn't have a big enough box. Packed our gear and paid the US$52.25 to send it home. Still a bargain, as long as it eventually arrives.

Back to the ship at about 11 am and looking for a hot brew. The ship set off at 3 pm and we cruised Northward under a low cloud bank and a slight sea. Whether due to our location, just forward of the forward elevators, or the ship's design the ride is so smooth we continually have to look outside to be sure we are still moving. Outside temperature is in the low teens but inside it is warm to hot, I've had to set our suite thermostat below the normal to be comfortable.

Dined in the Versailles Main Restaurant again, food, service and surrounds are the best we've found. The speciality restaurants appear to be only sparsely patronised. After dinner another show in the Stardust. Very colourful and energetic but we found it a little difficult to relate to most of the music.

Tuesday 28 September – Cruise Day 3
Temperature 10 °C & Cloudy, Windy with Showers

We're up before dawn and plan an early breakfast in preparation for our arrival at the Sawyer Glacier at about 8 am.

The journey up Tracy Arm is quite spectacular with many ice floes and numerous water-falls discharging tons of water. At precisely 8 am the Sawyer Glacier comes into view as a pale blue line across the width of the fiord. The Captain takes us to within a mile of the face and then pivots the ship to port leaving the whole length of the starboard side looking at the 750 metre width of the glacier. The water is quite turbid from all the debris being pushed in by the retreating glacier.

Just after 1:30 we are tied up at Juneau and we head off in the rain. Number one priority is the Mt Roberts Tramway a cable gondola that rises 1800 ft from the pier to the mountain top. On a fine day it would be a pleasant ride, with the wind blowing at about 40 knots and the rain belting at us it got a bit exciting as well. The car rocked quite a bit and we were happy that the wind had abated somewhat when we made the decent. Today was its last day of operation until next May.

Wandered around the town and were back on board the ship just after 4 pm. Had an early dinner in the Versailles and retired to the suite to relax and doze. The entertainment isn't until late tonight and we don't intend to stay up for it.

Wednesday 29 September – Cruise Day 4
Temperature 9 °C & Cloudy, Windy & Light Showers

Another almost motionless night and we dock at Skagway at about 7 am. We have a lesurly breakfast and set off for town. The shuttle costs just $5 each for an all day ticket – great value. The town has a population of only 800 and services up to 20 cruise ships per week during the summer, ours is the last one for the season.

Scagway differs from the other two towns we've visited in that they have road access to the outside world, 100 miles to Whitehorse in the Yukon then there is a highway to the “lower 48”. Many of the workers in town work here for the summer then spend the winter in Hawaii. The architecture is turn of the century western with timber board-walks and many buildings restored. Certainly the nicest town so far.

Back to the ship and lunch then relax for a while and possibly venture forth later or perhaps not. We didn't do a whole lot in the afternoon. One amusing event was the farewel from some of the citizens of Skagway. The 'tradition' is that the list ship of the season is seen off with a group mooning. Twenty or thirty of the local youth assembeled on the dock and showed us their bare backsides. Quite funny in some way.

Dinner again in the Versailles Restaurant, the main attraction was lobster, half a tail each. I found mine to be dried out and quite tough, happy I hadn't paid real money for it. We planned to attend the show in the Stardust at 9:15 but dozed off and woke up too late, perhaps tomorrow.

Thursday 30 September – Cruise Day 5
Temperature 13 °C & Cloudy, Windy

We awake to some motion aboard as we've sailed out into the Pacific and there is a swell running. Our destination today is Prince Rupert in British Columbia where we'll arrive about 4 pm and depart again at 9:30 pm.

Breakfast of cereals, fruit and smoked salmon on dark bread, yummy. Sat around in the atrium for a while and then retired to our state-room. Found my Netbook sitting safely on the bed, our very obliging Cabin Stewart had obviously been concerned that it may slide off the desk. Lunch in the Versailles Restaurant was very pleasant and the severe rolling of the ship had abated somewhat.

During lunch we spotted numerous whale spouts a good way out from the ship but it caused quite a bit of excitement. The sun has broken through and I thought I should record it. While on deck the Pilot boat came alongside and transferred the Canadian Pilot to take us into Prince Rupert. That is another activity that will be placed on hold for the next six months or so.

The sun is out and it is delightfully warm when we berth at Prince Rupert right on time. We hurry ashore to find a bank and exchange some of our US$ to CA$. The first bank we tried had already closed, we had better luck with the second one. Called into a Safeway supermarket and were most impressed with the automatic coin dispenser at the check-out. We strolled back to the ship and sorted out our new currency. The bank notes are quite colourful and the coins up to 25¢ are almost identical to the US version. The Canadians do have a $1 and a $2 coin.

Dined in the Versailles Restaurant again and afterwards went on deck to take some photos of the sun-set, a spectacle we haven't seen in a while. At this latitude it takes an age for the sun to set, very impressive.

The show in the Stardust Theatre featured members of the crew. Best show of the cruise. Great voices, bodies made of rubber and some of the funniest skits I've seen. Picture seven people draped in bed sheets and carrying stainless steel pitchers on their shoulders, they enter from stage left and when all are in place they take a drink from the pitcher. Number seven then squirts water onto the back of number six who squirts number five and so on. Towards the end of the routine some of them can't hold the mouthful of water for laughing. The finale has all seven on the edge of the stage ready to spray the front rows. Great applause and yells of “Do it”, but they don't. The routine was aptly named “Fountains”.

Friday 1 October – Cruise Day 6
Temperature 12 °C & Some Cloud

Our last day at sea, lots to do today. We collected our disembarkation luggage tags from the service desk, we're due to leave at 9:30. Breakfast at the Market Cafe, smoked salmon and some fruit. Long chat with the Executive Sous Chef, he's been working on cruise ships for over 40 years. His routine now is four months at sea, then two months ashore, he says his wife has his bag packed about two weeks before he's due to return.

Attended a presentation on their newest ship the Epic. What a monster, she carries up to 4,500 passengers and is 153,000 tons, the Star is only just short of 92,000 tons. We then had a Q&A session with the senior Hotel staff and the numbers regarding food, rooms, linnen and maintenance were quite staggering. When the cruise ends, they have to prepare all 1120 suites for their new occupants and they do that within three hours. They contrasted this with a land-based hotel where guests leave and arrive throughout the week.

After the briefings we joined six other people on a tour of the main galley conducted by the Executive Sous Chef for the main dining rooms. What a tour, we covered every aspect of the main kitchen functions and even shown the dishwasher – it is the size of a small bus. He then took us down to the central storage rooms and where the bulk preparation occurred, the butchers and the bakers and the soup makers. There's a separate room where the chickens are portioned, two cooks in there bone out and portion over 300 chickens every day. Throughout the tour he stressed and demonstrated how the quality is monitored and how the accounting for every ounce of food is controlled. All food scraps are ground down to a porridge consistency and are discharged when they are more than 12 miles off shore. Jenny remarked that it would be one hell of a burly trail.

After this most impressive tour we had 'Fish & Chips' in the Blue Lagoon – simple menu 23 hours a day. Then to the Market Cafe for fruit and jelly. While we were there there was another whale sighting that quickly resulted in 100 cameras trying to focus through wet glass.

The Stardust Theatre Show was most impressive with many changes of costume and feats of acrobatic excellence from the two Chinese Acrobats. It appeared to me to be of world class standard. We were then treated to the crew farewell, the captain and all his senior officers were on stage as well as representatives from the kitchen, the dining staff, the cleaners and the room stewards. Quite a sceptical and well received by the capacity crowd.

Back to the cabin to pack and have our baggage outside the cabin by 2 am. I'm running a bit of a fever and have picked up a throat infection but I'm sure a packet of 'Fisherman’s Friends' will fix that.

Saturday 2 October – Last Cruise Day
Temperature 14 °C & Some Cloud

We arrived in Vancouver about 7:20 this morning and joined two other cruise ships docked at the terminal called 'Canada Place'. After breakfast we sat around in the Atrium awaiting our disembarkation time of 9:30. Right on time we joined the queue, left the ship and proceeded through immigration and customs and were directed to the Taxi rank. All very well organised despite the fact that two ships were disembarking at the same time.

Cab fare was CAN$ 15 to cross town from North to South. Checked into the hotel and were advised there would be a one hour delay, not bad at all – we were in our room by 11:30. Free high speed wireless internet, a fridge, coffee maker and a balcony on the top floor with a view of English Bay.

Will try to provide shorter and more frequent updates for at least the next few weeks.

Posted by greynomadm 14:04 Archived in Canada Comments (0)

Seattle Update

Last chance before we board the cruise

19 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

Wednesday 22 September

Homewood Suites Seattle Downtown gets even better. As I said in my previous post, the suite was most impressive, but quite beyond expectation, the service continues to improve. One of my priorities was to get my Travel Insurance form printed off and returned to the insurer.  I took my PDF file on my thumb drive down to the front desk and asked if they could print it for me.  "No problem, but you are welcome to use our Business Center, it is complementary". Found a very smart Dell computer and a small laser printer, plug in the thumb drive and direct it to print the form, nothing happens, no paper in the printer, look around the room, no paper there either.  OK back to the front desk, explain my problem, profuse apologies and I'm handed half a ream of paper - no charge. Compare that to other hotels where they charge you by the page for printing.

Having printed the form and filled it in, I need to fax it back.  Down to Lloyd at the front desk, some confusion on my part regarding the fax number.  He tries three or four combinations without success.  I asked him if he could scan it onto my thumb drive, sorry, the hotel doesn't have a scanner. Bugger!!  Lloyd is not beaten, "If you like, I could take this document home and scan it for you.  Can I have your email address ??"  He apologises that there may be a delay of some hours as he still has a few hours left on his shift. We retire to suite and flick though the numerous TV channels and generally sort of plans for the the next two days.

There is no bar or restaurant in the hotel, plenty of those in the area. We were advised to head down to the dinning room where 'Management" provides a "Happy Hour" with complementary hot entree, beer and wine available for purchase.  The entree consists of a mini pizza, salad greens, dressings and fruit juices. This Happy Hour is provided Monday to Thursday !!!  How good is that ??  I forgot to mention, hot coffee and brew your own tea available all day as well.  Back at the suite there is an email from Lloyd with the scanned page attached I detach it and then forward it to the Insurer, within minutes there's a response from them thanking me for my prompt (?) action and hopes we continue to enjoy our holiday. A long day over and we head back to the suite.

Thursday 23 September

A great way to start the day, a hearty breakfast in the dinning room.  We head off to find the Hop On, Hop Off (HOHO) bus stop at the Space Needle, Seattle has turned on a grey wet day so we wear our rain-coats.  The park surrounding the Space Needle has some very impressive buildings scattered over a four block by four block area.  Decided to leave the trip to the observation desk until the next day.  Ask the security guy where the HOHO Bus stops ?? "I'll show you" he says and heads out the door and along a path and points out the HOHO bus at its stop. He attracts the attention of the driver and the bus waits patiently for us to turn up. I don't know where they find them, but the lass providing the commentary has a great sense of humour and a wealth of stories to keep us informed and amused.  We get off at the Pioneer Square with the recommendation that we do the Underground Tour.  We enjoyed almost two hours on this most amazing, informative and amusing tour amongst the foundations of the current buildings.  A quick late lunch and we pick up the HOHO Bus again and get off at the Pike Place Markets where we wander around for about an hour.  Most impressive array of flowers, fresh fruit and vege and at least three huge fish stalls. Back on the HOHO Bus and walk 'home' from the Space Needle stop. Spend some quiet time and sort out plans for tomorrow then down to the Happy Hour.  Spicy beef and chicken with rice, vegetables and salad greens, what a great way to end the day.

Friday 24 September

The famous Space Needle is first stop today. Located at the Seattle Center, it was built for the 1962 World's Fair, during which time nearly 20,000 people a day used the elevators, with over 2.3 million visitors in all for the World Fair. The Space Needle is 605 feet (184 m) high at its highest point and 138 feet (42 m) wide at its widest point and weighs 9,550 tons. When it was completed it was the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River. It is built to withstand winds of up to 200 mph (320 km/h) and earthquakes of up to 9.1 magnitude, which would protect the structure against an earthquake as powerful as the 1700 Cascadia earthquake. The tower also has 25 lightning rods on its roof to prevent lightning damage.

The Space Needle features an observation deck at 520 feet (160 m), and a gift shop with the rotating SkyCity restaurant at 500 feet (152 m). From the top of the Needle, one can see not only the Downtown Seattle skyline, but also the Olympic and Cascade Mountains, Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Elliott Bay and surrounding islands. Photographs of the Seattle skyline often show the Space Needle in a prominent position, even appearing to tower above the rest of the city's skyscrapers, as well as Mount Rainier in the background. This occurs because the tower, which is equivalent in height to a 60-story building, stands roughly four-fifths of a mile (1.3 km) north-west of most downtown skyscrapers. (Lifted from Wikipedia).

The weather wasn't great but we managed to take a few photographs anyway. Used the HOHO Bus to get us down to the wharf area and bought two ferry tickets to Bainbridge Island for a total of US$6.90, yes, both of us and a round trip. The ferry trip is about 35 minutes and the vessel carries up to 200 vehicles plus about 2000 passengers. It has the feel of a cruise ship with ample seating and an extensive restaurant. We got off at Bainbridge Island and walked to the town centre, a pretty little town and apparently a magnet for young, active people interested in outdoor activities. We were there for just the hour and headed back to Seattle on the next service. Had a hot lunch aboard the ferry which was quite good value. All in all a very efficient and professional service run by the State.
Back to the start point on the HOHO Bus and back to the Hotel. Time to do some laundry and a light dinner. Tomorrow we check out and start the cruise on the Norwegian Star.

Catch up with you from Vancouver.

Posted by greynomadm 18:40 Archived in USA Comments (1)

Honolulu 17 to 21 September

Waikiki - This Place is Full On

sunny 29 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

Friday 17 September (second time - last half)

We slept until about noon and then went out to walk the streets of Waikiki. What an amazing place, literally wall to wall tourists and the things tourists look for. The temperature was about 31 deg but the humidity was not too oppressive.

Found a place called the "Cheese Burger" and were cajoled into ordering a lunch. It may have been the jet-lag or old age but what I thought we'd ordered and what arrived displayed considerable variation. An enormous "burger", wicked fries and a bottomless mug of Coke. I'll try to upload a picture. 2010-09-17_0025.jpgWe walked about some more and staggered back to the hotel with the idea of having an early night. Great idea but didn't quite work out like that. We'd been partly asleep for about two hours when the local party animals came to life. Loud voices, vehicle horns and raucous music kicked in at about 10 pm and went on until well after 2 am.

Saturday 18 September

Attended a promotional free breakfast and were convinced to part with $10 for some cheesy photos intended to show us in the holiday mood. After the breakfast we signed up for a tour of the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbour for Monday. The shuttle then transported us to the most expensive tourist trap I've visited. The Mauwi Divers Jewelry where they manufacture (and of course SELL) some exquisite jewelry incorporating their famous black coral. They also match it with other gems and precious objects like pearls in any of a dozen shades from milky white to almost black. With price tags in the many hundreds of dollars I resisted until we were almost out the door.

We were bushwhacked but this charming lady who offered us the chance to open a pearl oyster (like a Lucky dip) for just $10. "Doesn't cost anything to look!". Our shell yielded two eggplant coloured pearls about 6 mm in diameter. She had also demonstrated on another shell which contained an 8 mm milky white pearl. She then cleaned the pearls with a little salt and a damp cloth and before we knew it the pearls had been drilled and the white one substituted for one that matched the eggplant 6 mm pair. "Don't do this for everyone, but happened to have this left over from yesterday." Quick as a flash and with more blarney than an Irish pub the three pearls had been mounted on 14 caret gold settings. Some more charm and fast talking and we walked out with only a 'small' dent in the credit card.

Another 'free' shuttle to Hilo Hattie the home of the Hawaiian Shirt. A large barn full of loud colourful shirts, sarongs and every conceivable tourist souvenir you can imagine. Managed to escape that place without spending a cent !! Back on the shuttle and 'home' to Waikiki for a late lunch and an afternoon nap.

Sunday 19 September

Not a bad night, getting used to the strange surroundings. Out for breakfast and a visit to some of the places not previously explored. The Waikiki Beach area is not all that big but it has tall buildings on every spare inch. We can't imagine how many hotel beds are available here. Had an early lunch then waited in the foyer for our afternoon tour.

We had a five hour small group tour to some of the scenic look-outs and nature reserves on the South East of the Island. The tour guide was most interesting in both the wealth and breadth of her knowledge of the area. Back at the hotel by just after 5 pm.

Monday 20 September

Up very early to join the tour of the Arizona Memorial Tour at Pearl Harbour. Like other American Memorials I've visited, this one is well organised and respectfully honours the many men who died on that infamous day in 1941. Particularly moving for me was the memorial to the many submarines that were lost during World War II. I counted around 50 submarines that disappeared with all hands, recorded are the more than 3,500 submariners lost during the war.

The Arizona Memorial has been built over the sunken wreck of the battleship, traces of oil still seep from the fuel bunkers. While we were there, local school children dropped flowers on the water and they drifted off with the oil sheen creating a moving tribute to the the ship's 1,177 crewmen who lost their lives on 7 December 1941 in Pearl Harbor.

From the Arizona Memorial we went to the USS Missouri (the "Mighty Mo") which proudly rides at anchor in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, next to the USS Arizona Memorial, the two marking the beginning and the end of World War II. The USS Missouri Memorial opened 29 January 1999 and is one of the most popular attractions in Hawaii. Our boarding was delayed for about 30 minutes because a film crew was shooting an episode of the new version of Hawaii-5-O. We finally made it to the fore-deck and during the introductory spiel, I felt dizzy and Jenny sat me down beside the forward gun turret.

Some of the film crew saw what was happening and called for medics. Within a minute or so I was laid on my back, being fed oxygen and having my blood pressure taken. The blood pressure was alarmingly low and before long two paramedics from the Federal Fire Department had me on a wheel-chair stretcher and I was loaded into the back of an ambulance. I was hooked up to a heart monitor and placed on a saline IV drip. Following a fast trip into Honolulu with lights flashing and sirens screaming I was unloaded at the Queen's Medical Center Emergency. I was pretty much recovered by this stage but was subjected to the full diagnostic routine, ECG, bloods, urine and observations. Some four hours later I was released with the conclusion that I was suffering from dehydration due to the heat, lack of fluid intake and general eating patterns following the rapid time and climate change.. During this time in hospital, an employee from the Missouri Memorial provided every possible assistance and ensured that we were provided transport back to the hotel.

Back at the hotel, we had to contact the Travel Insurance Company, not an easy task as it turned out. The instructions required us to contact the local operator and ask for a reverse charge call to be placed. Couldn't do it from the room phone, tried it from the public pay phone with the loss of 5 quarters and no result, my mobile phone decided to chuck a wobbly and I finally resorted to a flaky connection via Skype. That worked well enough to pass on our hotel land-line contact and a lovely lady rang back immediately. Contact has been made but the issue is not yet finalised. I need to print off a form, fill it out and fax it back to them. I have decided to hold that off until Seattle.

Tuesday 21 September

Understandably, Jenny was reluctant to let me out of the hotel. I was permitted to help with the laundry and was allowed out for breakfast. Then back to the hotel for an 1100 check-out. We sat in the foyer and stayed cool until 1545 when the shuttle arrived to take us to the airport. Quite a different experience entering Honolulu airport and booking in with Delta. Your check-in baggage is examined by Dept of Agriculture before you proceed to the desk. There you need to pay $25 per piece of luggage and you are issued with your boarding pass. Then off to security screening, every metal object in a tray, the net book in a tray, our boots and jackets in another tray and our back-packs. We're learning, but it still takes a lot of time and we were happy to sit and wait for the 2050 boarding time. We started boarding the 757 right on time and were amazed at the amount of carry-on luggage people were allowed to get away with. After the longest ever wandering around the airport we were airborne and headed for Seattle. A sleepless 5 hour 30 minutes later we landed at Seattle.

Wednesday 22 January

Arrived Seattle International at about 0600 local time (watches forward three hours) we collected our cases and looked for transport options to down-town Seattle. We were advised to catch the train, great idea but none of those advising it knew precisely how to find the train. It took a while because the facility was so new it hadn't yet been fully sign-posted. We found the station and the automatic ticketing machine. They are great, but totally useless when you don't know the local geography. Which,line, which station, what kind of ticket ?? Up to the platform and a very helpful security guard gave us all the information we needed. $1.50 each compared with $35 for a taxi into down-town.
We arrived at the central rail station and made it to the surface and being just 0730 there aren't many people about to ask for directions. A man making deliveries to the corner drug-store pointed us in the direction of a taxi rank. A quick ride had us at the hotel. Welcome was fantastic, "Yes we have a room ready and breakfast is on for another half hour, do come down and join us - complementary". The suite is enormous, two queen sized beds, full kitchen including domestic sized refrigerator and a dish-washer. The lounge room has another flat panel TV, a couch and arm-chair and a desk with two chairs. Yes there's a bathroom as well. Lovely breakfast and crashed out for about 3 hours.

More later, perhaps after the cruise.

Posted by greynomadm 13:21 Archived in USA Tagged update Comments (2)

First Leg Completed

From Moruya to Honolulu

semi-overcast 31 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

First Leg is now complete.

Thursday 16 Sep

Boarded the bus to Sydney at 0905 (local) and had a trouble-free trip to Sydney arriving there just after 1600. An easy walk down Pitt St saw us checked in at the Metro City Central by 1700. A brisk walk up George St to the Town Hall area and picked up some Healthy Food for dinner. Nothing much else to do so crashed fairly early.

Friday 17 Sep (first one)

Up much earlier than required and we were waiting on the curb by 0815 for an 0830 shuttle pickup. The shuttle was a little early and after stopping at 4 or 5 additional hotel we set off for Sydney Airport. Arrived at the International Terminal way too early and sat around waiting for our check-in desk to open..We checked in and were happy that our combined luggage was just under 40 Kg. Through Immigration and on to the security check. First mistake, didn't remove the NetBook from my backpack. Removed it and sent the backpack through again. Rejected because I had a tube of toothpaste in my toilet bag. The toothpaste was confiscated. Too bad.
Another longish wait in the air-side duty free and departure lounge area. Had brunch there. Started boarding Air Pacific FJ910 at about 1230. A 747 and very few empty seats, mostly in business class. We were in seats 67D and 67E if the seating was any further back we'd have been hugging the tail. As Jenny said "We're lucky to be inside!!" Flew out just after 1330 for Nadi in Fiji. Touched down at Nadi and through another security check to the transit lounge. Sat there for about 2 hours and boarded a 737 for Honolulu via Apia in Samoa where we disembarked and were treated to another security check and sat for about an hour. We boarded at just after midnight and crossed the International Date Line so we're back at the start of Friday ??

Friday 17 Sep (repeat)
A long 5hr30min flight saw us land in Honolulu at 0700 (local). Immigration was painless, full set of fingerprints taken as well as a digital photo. No delay and through to baggage collection. Picked up both cases and headed for customs. A cheery "Aloha" and we were outside the terminal. Couldn't have been simpler. Met the lady in charge of the shuttle bus and by 0800 we were at the check-in desk of the Aqua Waikiki Wave. Room was ready and we stripped off and tried to catch up on sleep. Jenny is gently snoring as I write this. I just couldn't nod off.
Will update again in a few days.

Cheers from Honolulu

Posted by greynomadm 05:54 Archived in USA Tagged planes Comments (2)

(Entries 56 - 60 of 66) « Page .. 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »