A Travellerspoint blog

First Leg Completed

From Moruya to Honolulu

semi-overcast 31 °C
View 2010 Around the World on greynomadm's travel map.

First Leg is now complete.

Thursday 16 Sep

Boarded the bus to Sydney at 0905 (local) and had a trouble-free trip to Sydney arriving there just after 1600. An easy walk down Pitt St saw us checked in at the Metro City Central by 1700. A brisk walk up George St to the Town Hall area and picked up some Healthy Food for dinner. Nothing much else to do so crashed fairly early.

Friday 17 Sep (first one)

Up much earlier than required and we were waiting on the curb by 0815 for an 0830 shuttle pickup. The shuttle was a little early and after stopping at 4 or 5 additional hotel we set off for Sydney Airport. Arrived at the International Terminal way too early and sat around waiting for our check-in desk to open..We checked in and were happy that our combined luggage was just under 40 Kg. Through Immigration and on to the security check. First mistake, didn't remove the NetBook from my backpack. Removed it and sent the backpack through again. Rejected because I had a tube of toothpaste in my toilet bag. The toothpaste was confiscated. Too bad.
Another longish wait in the air-side duty free and departure lounge area. Had brunch there. Started boarding Air Pacific FJ910 at about 1230. A 747 and very few empty seats, mostly in business class. We were in seats 67D and 67E if the seating was any further back we'd have been hugging the tail. As Jenny said "We're lucky to be inside!!" Flew out just after 1330 for Nadi in Fiji. Touched down at Nadi and through another security check to the transit lounge. Sat there for about 2 hours and boarded a 737 for Honolulu via Apia in Samoa where we disembarked and were treated to another security check and sat for about an hour. We boarded at just after midnight and crossed the International Date Line so we're back at the start of Friday ??

Friday 17 Sep (repeat)
A long 5hr30min flight saw us land in Honolulu at 0700 (local). Immigration was painless, full set of fingerprints taken as well as a digital photo. No delay and through to baggage collection. Picked up both cases and headed for customs. A cheery "Aloha" and we were outside the terminal. Couldn't have been simpler. Met the lady in charge of the shuttle bus and by 0800 we were at the check-in desk of the Aqua Waikiki Wave. Room was ready and we stripped off and tried to catch up on sleep. Jenny is gently snoring as I write this. I just couldn't nod off.
Will update again in a few days.

Cheers from Honolulu

Posted by greynomadm 05:54 Archived in USA Tagged planes

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Hey Guys,

Great to hear that the first leg of your Jules Verne journey is underway!

Love to you both.

Nat, Frog, Amy & Em

by DrTard

Wow - what a big Friday you guys had! Hope you're having fun in Hawaii!


This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.